Venus Flytrap Action Toy
- Item #: 4-K101908X
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
This fly-or-be-trapped educational toy for one or two to play is irresistible to elementary school children. Slide your hand into the back (see second photo) and when a bug gets close, snap it shut! Pattern includes instructions for flies too). The loops around the edge can be interlocked to zip closed. This step also seems to fascinate some children.
The Venus Flytrap was originally designed as a donation to a “Mini-Mall” holiday event at my son’s elementary school, for students to spend the classroom “dollars” they earned. We underestimated the appeal of these Venus Flytraps and they sold out quickly. A bidding war broke out over the last one!
Pattern is for personal use only; if you would like to make these for an elementary school in your area, please email me.
Skill Level: Beginner. Pattern has been written with no abbreviations for new pattern readers. This project was originally designed for parent and child to make together. My son cut out the shapes and I crocheted them together, however a child who has learned the basics of crocheting could do every step.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to crochet around the edge of craft foam or other material.
- How to use simple crochet stitches for a zipper “fly trap”.
Measured open at widest points, 6.25 X 9.25 inches/16 X 24 cm
- Crochet Hook: size G/7/4.5mm was used; use a size that comfortably pulls yarn through the punched holes of the foam shapes.
- Yarns used for pictured project: Lily’s Sugar ‘n Cream (100% Cotton, 120yds/109m per 2.5oz/71g ball), color #01712 Hot Green.
- Substituting other yarns: Any worsted weight (category #4 Medium weight) yarn in any size ball can be used. Close substitutes would be Pisgah’s Peaches & Crème (100% Cotton, Color 351 Apple Green; or Coats & Clark’s Crème de la Crème (100% Combed Cotton, Color #0625 Brite Green.
- Stitch Marker
- A few yards (meters) of any scrap yarn for each fly you wish to make.
- 1 red foam sheet and 1 green foam sheet, each at least 6 X 9 inches/ cm, any brand. Used for pictured project: Creative Hands Foam Sheets by Fibre-Craft Materials Corp. (UPC 0-2844457641-7).
- Paper hole puncher that punches holes with a 3/16th or 1/4th-inch (5-6mm) diameter.
- Googly Eyes, optional (requested by some children; not safe for children under the age of three.)
- Skill Level: Beginner