Sterling Boutique Crochet Handbag (lining is optional!)
- Item #: 3-P5305
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
Click on any larger image to enlarge further.
This purse may look all dressed up, but a 100% crochet handbag will hold up under real use! The main body of the bag is a special woven-look crochet stitch that's 'close-knit' yet light and flexible. Perhaps the best feature for some crocheters is that adding an inner fabric lining is optional. Begin with a sturdy light weight yarn then embellish with a fun and quick-to-crochet overskirt of fancy beaded silk (pictured).
The Sterling Boutique Handbag is an updated and streamlined edition of the Chain Link Bag. I originally designed it for the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA) Pattern Line in 2005; however, CGOA's patterns have since gone out of print, and the original yarn has long been discontinued.
I'm proud to add this updated edition of one of my signature designs to the DesigningVashti crochet pattern collection. The newer yarns I used here, commonly available in yarn shops, are less stretchy, a pleasure to crochet, and are easy to substitute with other yarns if desired.
International English equivalents to American measurements, yarn weights, and stitch terms are provided in brackets.
Skill Level: Intermediate. After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to shape a bag while working rows vertically (a.k.a. "side to side")
- A handy stitch for crocheting bags that don't require fabric linings
- A fun way to show off one skein of an exquisite yarn while letting a workhorse yarn do the heavy lifting
- The design appeal of chain stitch strands worked in a spiral
12"/30.5 cm at widest point along base x 6"/15 cm high, not including bag straps
- Crochet Hook: Size F/5/3.75mm and L/11/8mm crochet hooks or sizes required for gauge.
- Yarn: Mercerized cotton or other inelastic plant fibers like linen work well for the main body of the bag; too much of the bouncy type of wool or acrylic stretch out of shape. Choose a yarn that recommends a crochet hook size range somewhere between 4mm-5.5mm on the label.
- Main Yarn used for body of handbag: Tahki Cotton Classic (100% mercerized cotton; 108yds/100m per 1.75oz/50g), color #3004, 2 skeins.
- Contrast Yarn used for fancy overskirt: Tilli Tomas Beaded Plié (100% silk plied with beads; 120yd/110m per 1.75oz/50g), color #3303, 1 skein.
- (For reference, the original yarn used for the 2005 edition of this design: Berroco Crystal FX [100% chained nylon; 1.75oz/146yds/50g per skein], #4710, “Mica,” 3 balls. It's no longer my first choice for this design because it's quite stretchy, which makes a fabric lining necessary for it to maintain its shape.)
- 4 stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Optional: Button, about 1/2" diameter or preferred clasp; Fabric for sewn lining, 14" X 14" piece (36 cm square); Sewing needle and thread for button and lining
- Skill Level: Intermediate