Quencher: Crochet Mesh Water Tote
- Item #: 2-P5505
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
This is my all-time favorite water bottle tote. Those who have seen me at crochet conferences over the years know that I carry it with me everywhere. It’s designed to look good toting most water bottle sizes, to recover gracefully from being repeatedly bunched up in carry-on luggage, and most of all, to feel good on the shoulder.
My first crochet net bag lasted me for 4 years. I crocheted it in a (now discontinued) silvery yarn that looked nice with everything I wore, and looked professional enough when I needed it to. I like my new ‘n’ improved Quencher even more! It’s elegant and strong. The top opening has a modified type of drawstring action that results in a form-fitted, sleeker look around the bottle cap. I love the visual effect of the strap--it looks doubled then splits temporarily to become a drawstring.
25 inches (64 cm) from top of strap to bottom of tote, measured while hung with a 25 ounce (740mL) water bottle inside.
* Yarn used for gray Quencher: Berroco Latitude (48% Cotton, 48% Rayon, 4% other fiber; 1.75oz/50g, 109yds/100m). Color pictured: #5670 Grey Gardens. This yarn will be discontinued soon, but many durable, smooth textured yarns can be substituted in the #2 Fine Weight category. Recommended alternate yarns: Patons Grace (100% Mercerized Cotton; 1.75oz/50g, 136yds/125 m). You need approximately 109 yards/100 meters of a nonstretchy yarn that is labeled “#2 Fine” weight, or states a gauge of 5 or 6 stitches to the inch with a G/6/4mm hook.
* Crochet hook: Size F/4/3.75mm and G/6/4mm. (or size required for gauge.)
* Stitch marker, optional
Skill Level: Intermediate because of strap construction. There is no shaping but the design combines less familiar stitches. Only a limited amount of pattern abbreviations have been used.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
* How to crochet a tote in the round
* A handy jumbo version of the traditional mesh stitch
* How to make my high-performance tote strap
- Skill Level: Intermediate because of strap construction