Pallas Scarves to Crochet in Two Yarn Sizes
- Item #: 34-N011005
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
Click on any large photo to enlarge it further.
A crochet scarf like Pallas would typically be crocheted from the center column out to each edge for its symmetrically ribbed look, but this one was actually begun at one long edge and crocheted continuously to the other edge. It's just more fun when the yarn needn't be cut and re-attached.
The crochet ribbing of this scarf behaves like accordion-pleated edges that cozy up to the neck. Add a half-twist before seaming together the scarf ends and you have a long mobius-style "infinity scarf" or crochet loop scarf. Wind the long loop around the neck for a luxurious doubled-up cowl.
These rich-textured thermal stitches look elegant in many different yarns. The strong columnar lines also make it suitable for men if a larger crochet hook is used with a thicker yarn in a darker color. Instructions are included for this crochet mens scarf variation.
Skill Level: Easy Intermediate. Pattern instructions use a minimal amount of abbreviations. International English equivalents to American measurements, yarn weights, and stitch terms are provided in brackets.
Pattern also includes an exclusive clickable link to an online photo set, which includes a stitch symbol diagram, comparison of yarn swatches, and more helpful images that are not accessible to the general public.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to crochet an elastic foundation edge for a more comfortable and professionally finished scarf
- How to do classic half double crochet ribbing
- How to use slip stitches with appropriate gauge for fashion drape
- A less common way to use the single crochet stitch
Finished Dimensions, measured hung; Instructions are included in the pattern for customizing the scarf’s length. Note: Customizing the dimensions of the scarf will change the amount of yarn needed to complete it.
- Unseamed women's scarf: 5.5" x 63" (14 cm x 160 cm) using a #3 Light Weight/DK yarn
- Seamed long infinity (mobius) scarf: circumference of 49" (125 cm)
- Men's Hearty Gauge Version, shown at right: 7" x 45" (18 cm x 114 cm) using a #4 Medium Weight/Aran yarn and larger crochet hook.
Supplies Needed for Women's Ecru Scarf Versions (#3 Light/DK Weight Yarn)
- Crochet Hook: US size H/8/5mm or size required for gauge.
- Yarn: Approximately 450yd/411m of a #3 Light Weight yarn or one that states a gauge of approx. 18 stitches over 4 inches with a G/7/4.5mm hook. Pictured: Classic Elite Princess (40% Merino, 28% Viscose, 15% Nylon, 10% Cashmere, 7% Angora; 150yds/137m per 1-3/4oz/50g skein): 3 skeins in color #3475 Beyond Beige.
- Another nice yarn for this design: Naturallycaron.com’s Country (75% microfiber acrylic, 25% merino wool; 185yd/170m per 3oz/85g), color #0008 Silver Service. Note: I preferred using a US I/9/5.5mm hook with this yarn.
Supplies Needed for Larger (Dark Red) Men’s Scarf (#4 Medium/Worsted/Aran Weight Yarn)
- Crochet Hook: US size K/10.5/6.50mm or size required for gauge.
- Yarn: A minimum of 254 yd (232 m) of a #4 Medium/Aran Weight yarn or one that states a gauge of approx. 14 stitches over 4 inches with an I/US-9/5.5mm hook. Pictured: Classic Elite Montera (50% Llama, 50% Wool; 127yds/116 m per 3.5oz/100g skeins): 2 full skeins in color #3827 Cochineal were needed for a 45"-long scarf; 3 skeins would result in a scarf between 65" and 68" long instead.
- Skill Level: Easy-intermediate (a few uncommon uses of familiar stitches)