Orbit Cowl: A Stretchy Crochet Spiral
- Item #: 4-N102810
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
Click on any large photo to enlarge it further.
A warm and versatile cowl that can be rolled, folded, scrunched, and stretched for several fashionable looks. It’s naturally stretchy, and becomes deliciously so in a bouncy wool yarn like Mochi Plus or Noro.
It’s fast and easy to crochet: work only into every other stitch in a spiral. This means no turning, no joining rounds, no counting stitches! If you use a self-striping yarn (shown), you can let the yarn do the work.
A simple type of increasing is used for the rounds at the shoulder. Another lovely quality of this stitch is that the increases are almost completely invisible.
Skill Level: Easy. Pattern is written with a limited amount of abbreviations. International English equivalents to American measurements, yarn weights, and stitch terms are provided in brackets.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to crochet the mesh rib stitch
- How to work in the round in a spiral fashion (no joining or turning)
- How to begin with a foundation hdc
- How to increase easily as you work in a spiral to widen for shoulders.
Finished Dimensions (measured flat and unstretched)
- Width at neck opening: 19 inches (48 cm) inside diameter.
- Width at widest shoulder opening: 35 inches (89 cm) inside diameter.
- Total height: 14.5 inches (37 cm). Width and length of neckwarmer is easy to customize; “how-to” instructions are included in the pattern. (Yarn requirements may change.)
- Crochet Hook: Size US J-10/6mm or size required for gauge.
- Yarn: Approximately 300 yards/160 meters of a smooth, resilient yarn, or one that states a gauge of approx. 16-18 stitches over 4 in/10 cm. Pictured: Crystal Palace Yarns Mochi Plus(80% merino wool, 20% nylon; 95 yd/87 m per 1.75oz/50g skein), 3 skeins of color #561 were used.
- Optional: 2 Stitch markers (recommended for shoulder rounds).
- Skill Level: Easy