Burly, a Manly Scarf (Easy Beginner's Tunisian Crochet)
- Item #: 5-N101609T
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
You can click on any larger image to enlarge it further.
This beginner’s Tunisian crochet pattern works up quickly and results in a sumptuous gift for a man or woman. It’s a simple stitch, and comes out looking spectacular in this yarn and gauge, effortlessly (it only took me two hours to crochet it). I love when that happens. I'm not sure if any of my photos do it full justice.
One day my husband accompanied me to a new yarn shop. When he touched the Peruvian luxury yarn I was considering, he said with awe, “You’re buying this, right?” Nothing showcases the incredible luster and hand of this yarn like good ol’ Tunisian Simple Stitch. It has a woven look in a big husky gauge that looks great on a man.
Please see the swatches of a few comparable yarns from craft chain stores: Lion Brand's Alpine Wool and Bernat's Roving. (More details on these yarns below.)
Pattern is written without any abbreviations for beginning pattern readers.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to read a simple Tunisian crochet pattern
- How to create a simple reinforced foundation row that looks masculine and prevents a curled edge.
- How simple blocking turns even a beginner project into a polished, expensive-looking gift.
- The difference a single-ply yarn can make.
Finished Dimensions (measured flat after blocking)
6” wide X 47” long. (before blocking it was 5.75” X 45”; this is a general guideline because every yarn behaves differently). Length, which is easy to customize, is provided as a helpful guideline.
- Crochet hook: Size L/11/8mm Tunisian crochet hook. I was able to use a regular 6-inch (15.5cm) crochet hook as a Tunisian hook that had no thumb rest, which would have distorted the gauge of the Tunisian stitches.
- Yarn used: Mirasol’s Sulka (60% Merino Wool, 20% Alpaca, 20% Silk, 55 yds/50m per 1.75oz/50g skein): 3 full skeins. Color #203 Wine was used for this project. (This was a $24 project: in 2009 I paid $8 per skein in a yarn shop.)
Craft Store Yarn Substitutions: Look for yarns in the “#5 Bulky” category that suggest a size J/10/6mm or K/11/6.5mm crochet hook. A single-ply yarn will have a similar look (see photo of swatches), such as:
Lion Brand’s Alpine Wool (100% Wool, 93yd/85m per 3oz/85g skein), 3 skeins;
Bernat’s Roving (80% Acrylic, 20% Wool, 120yds/109m per 3.5oz/100g ball), 1.5 skeins.
- Special Technique: Tunisian
- Skill Level: Beginner in Tunisian and Experienced-Beginner in regular crochet
- Season: Fall Winter